On Friday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced that the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna prize would be renamed the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Prize, “respecting citizens’ sentiments across the country”. The Khel Ratna Award is the nation’s highest sporting honour.
“I’ve been receiving many requests from Indian citizens to name the Khel Ratna Award in honour of Major Dhyan Chand. They are very kind and I appreciate their opinions. In consideration of their sentiments, the Khel Ratna Award is now called the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award. Jai Hind!” Prime Minister Modi tweeted.
Khel Ratna was established in 1991-1992. The first recipient was Chess legend Viswanathan Anand, Leander Paes, and Sachin Tendulkar were among the other winners.
Why Sports Award Renamed as Major Dhyan Chand?
- Major Dhyan chand was indian hockey player from 1926 to 1949.
- He scored 400 goals in his career.
- Indian team won olympic medal in 1928, 1932 and 1936 with Major Dhyan Chand.
Khel Ratna Benifits ?
- Khel Ratna Award is the highest honouring award in India.
- It is pride of every sports person.
- Earlier khel ratna award prize money was 7.5 from now onwards 25 lakh is the prize money.