Kumbh Mela is one of the biggest gatherings that occurs every three years. The host of this
biggest Ardh Kumbh is Prayagraj where millions of people will celebrate this holy festival.
However, there are so many things about Kumbh Mela 2019 that one might not be aware of.
So, let’s check out the whole Ardh Mela enjoyment that is to be held from 15th January to 4th March 2019.
Interesting Facts About Kumbh Mela
1. The word Kumbh is used in the reference to Nectar that is known from the time when
God used to live on this earth. When the curse of sage Durvasa was creating the
mayhem for the people then Lord Bhrama come up with the solution of nectar churning.
2. In this churning, God and Asura joined hand together in regards to share that nectar
(Amrita or immortality drink). However, Asura came to know that God’s have no
intention of sharing it. this results in 12days of chasing that make nectar fall at four
locations – Haridwar – Ganga, Nashik – Godavari, Prayagraj – Saraswati and Yamuna
junction and Ujjain – Shipra.
3. The Chinese traveler, Hiuen Tsang was the first one that mentioned this Haridwar
Kumbh Mela festival while India was under the rule of King Harshavardhan.
4. There are different activities that are performed by Indian People during this time that
includes Maha Prasada, Kirtan, and Pravachan.
5. Saint perform the first bathing in the Kumbh that is famously known as Shahi Snan. This
is followed by the bathing ritual for common people.
6. As per the belief in Hindu culture, Holy River Ganga has the power to wash away the sins
of a person and bless their soul. This helps them moving towards the route of salvation
and happy prosperous life.
7. As per the UNESCO, the Kumbh Mela is one of the ‘Intangible Cultural Heritage of